Vision Service Plan (VSP) is an affordable insurance plan that specifically covers vision related needs. One such need is Laser-Assisted Stromal In-situ Keratomileusis (LASIK). While it is possible to have this type of surgery covered by VSP, there are some caveats and requirements in place which you must follow. In this article, we will explain these specifics and share important information about successfully having LASIK surgery covered by your vision insurance plan. Does VSP Cover LASIK? Read on to learn more.
How To Save Money When You Get LASIK
This cutting edge eye surgery is quite pricey, so it pays to take advantage of any assistance or savings that may be available to you.
Find out if your insurance will help you with the cost. If you are a VSP member, you may have coverage for the procedure. You can confirm your coverage by logging into the VSP website at VSP.com. If you do not have coverage, you can register and get coverage.
Your VSP insurance may cover part or all of your expenses, but you may need to figure out a way to pay for any out-of-pocket costs. Some LASIK providers offer payment plans that can be very helpful. Most require a percentage of the cost as a down-payment followed by monthly payments for six months to a year.
Other financing options include using a major credit card or applying for credit from a specific LASIK financing company. Health credit companies such as Care Credit may also be helpful.
If you have a Health Savings Account or a Flex Spending Account, you can naturally use those funds to help finance your surgery.
How Much Does LASIK Cost?
Understand that there are several layers of cost involved with LASIK. You may need to do a bit of research to get a clear picture of the total cost.
Costs can vary from one provider to another. Your surgeon’s level of expertise is one factor that can cause cost differences. Additionally, the degree of correction you need and the sort of technology necessary for your surgery may affect costs.
LASIK surgery has been around for a while, and just like any other type of technology, it has improved since its introduction. If your surgeon uses older technology, it will cost less than the latest technology; however, the added expense of cutting edge technology may very well be worth the difference you pay in terms of outcome.
The amount and complexity of pre-operative and post-operative care are also a determining factor in final expenses.
If you have very poor vision, your procedure will be more complex and costly.
Generally speaking, LASIK can cost anywhere from a thousand dollars per eye to three thousand dollars per eye. You can get a very clear picture of exactly where your costs are incurred by asking for a detailed breakdown of the costs of the procedure on offer.
Don’t Fall For Bargain-Basement Surgery Deals!
If you see a deal for LASIK that seems too good to be true, it probably is. In the best case scenario, you might find yourself stuck with hidden fees after the fact. In the worst case, you might find yourself the victim of bungled surgery.
Bargain Basement vs. Special Offer
Understand that unrealistic bargains are not the same as special offers from reputable providers. Some Laser Vision Centers seek to attract new patients by advertising occasional specials. Additionally, VSP sometimes presents LASIK Special Offers. Taking advantage of genuine savings from trusted providers and your insurance company is a smart way to save money.
Well-Informed Patients Ask The Right Questions
When selecting a surgeon, you should be sure of two things:
1. Do you trust the surgeon?
2. Does your insurance cover the procedure?
In order to determine the answers to these questions and ensure that you have a good doctor/patient relationship, you should interview doctors within the VSP network. Conduct your interviews using these questions.
- If I need to get contacts or glasses temporarily, how much money should I expect to spend?
- Can you show me verifiable patient testimonials and references?
- Are my post-operative visits included in this quote?
- Are prescription medications included in the quote?
- Can you give me a firm, itemized quote in writing?
- Exactly what is included in the cost of the surgery?
- What sort of technology do you use?
- Is this quote for one eye or both? Ask all of these questions up-front, in your initial interview and then go home and take some time to compare the information you gather and choose the right surgeon.
Remember To Follow These Steps
In the final analysis, it is really quite easy to have your LASIK surgery covered by your VSP insurance plan. Just do your homework and follow these simple steps:
1. Log in or register at VSP.com to be sure that you are signed up for VSPs Laser Vision Care Program.
2. Only interview surgeons who accept this form of insurance.
3. Interview carefully and select the doctor you want and schedule your evaluation appointment. If you are a good candidate for the surgery, your doctor will take care of scheduling the details.
4. Follow-up with your surgeon as instructed after your surgery.
5. If you are a VSP member and you are approved for LASIK, you should know that you may also have coverage for non-prescription sunglasses! Be sure to take advantage of this valuable benefit.
6. Enjoy life with crystal clear vision!